Prodigy is very serious about protecting the privacy of teachers, parents and students. We have partnered with a privacy expert (iKeepSafe) to ensure we remain fully compliant with all federal privacy legislation (like FERPA and COPPA) as well as state legislation (like SOPIPA or AB1584 in California).
What is AB 1584?
AB 1584 is a California specific bill that addresses the access and use of K-12 student data by third party vendors. AB 1584 explicitly permits local educational agencies to enter into contracts with third parties to provide online services relating to management of pupil records or to otherwise access, store, and use pupil records in the course of performing contractual obligations.
How does Prodigy stay AB 1584 compliant?
In order to ensure that Prodigy is compliant with AB 1584, where a contract is present with both local education authorities and third parties, each contract will contain certain provisions, including the following:
- Pupil records be the property of and under the control of the educational agency
- Pupils retain possession and control of their content
- Legal guardians or the pupils have the ability to review and/or correct personally identifiable information
- Where a contract exists, Prodigy will not to retain pupil records beyond the terms of the contract
- Where a contract exists, third parties are not to use pupil record information for purposes beyond those specified in the contract
- Prodigy will not use personally identifiable pupil record information to engage in targeted advertising
- Prodigy will ensure the security and confidentiality of the records
- Prodigy will notify legal guardians or the pupil in the event of an unauthorized disclosure
- Prodigy will work together with local educational agencies to ensure compliance with the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
What Privacy Certification has Prodigy attained?
Prodigy has earned a California Student Badge from iKeepSafe, a leading independent privacy protection organization. The California Student Badge certifies that Prodigy is compliant with:
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- The Children’s Online Privacy and Protection Act (COPPA)
- Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA)
- Student Online Personal Information Protection Act (SOPIPA)
- AB 1584: Privacy of Pupil Records: 3rd-Party Digital Storage and Education Software
- Collection of Student Information from Social Media (California Education Code 49073.6 Pupil Records: Social Media)
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996