Prodigy is very serious about protecting the privacy of teachers, parents and students. We have partnered with an independent privacy expert (iKeepSafe) to ensure we remain fully compliant with all federal privacy legislation (like FERPA and COPPA) as well as state legislation (like SOPIPA or AB1584 in California).
What is COPPA?
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) is a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Rule designed to ensure that parents remain in control of personal information collected from their young children online.
With the volume and variety of websites and online services being brought into the classroom, it is often challenging for schools and school districts to analyze the data collection, use and handling practices of each product, and to assess whether or not each is compliant with COPPA. However, compliance with COPPA is a critical piece in ensuring that the privacy of the youngest students – those under the age of 13 – is protected.
How does Prodigy stay COPPA compliant?
- Prodigy has clearly written policies explaining what data we collect from users, how such data is used and stored, and to whom it may be disclosed.
- Prodigy does not collect any identifying information from children unless they are linked to a parent or teacher account.
- Prodigy ensures that the collection of data is limited to only what is reasonably required to deliver our product.
- Should the need arise, Prodigy has a process in place to respond to requests to provide parents or eligible students with a means to review data that has been collected and to request that the data be amended, corrected or deleted.
- Parents are in control of data collected from the child at all times.
- Prodigy is committed to staying educated on privacy legislation and will perform regular assessments of policies and practices, as well as training requirements for all employees on regulatory and company requirements in these areas.
What Privacy Certification has Prodigy attained?
Prodigy has earned a California Student Badge from iKeepSafe, a leading independent privacy protection organization. The California Student Badge certifies that Prodigy is compliant with:
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- The Children’s ONline Privacy and Protection Act (COPPA)
- Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA)
- Student Online Personal Information Protection Act (SOPIPA)
- AB 1584: Privacy of Pupil Records: 3rd-Party Digital Storage and Education Software
- Collection of Student Information from Social Media (California Education Code 49073.6 Pupil Records: Social Media)
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996